Graphite is generally employed in commercial lithium ion batteries which has a specific capacity of 372 mAh/g. In this study, graphite is replaced with carbon-coated magnetite (Fe3O4/C) which has large theoretical specific capacity of 926 mAh/g, environmental friendly, and low cost production. The synthesis of Fe3O4/C is carried out by hydrothermal method with reacting FeCl3 and hexamethylenetetramine (HMT) at temperature variation of 160, 170 and 180°C. The following process is heated by calcination at temperature variations 450, 500 and 550°C. XRD and SEM results show that the as-prepared Fe3O4/C powder has a single phase of Fe3O4 and morphology micro-flowers like with size between 700 nm – 3 µm. CV test results show redox reaction occurs in the voltage range between 0.21-0.85 V and 1.68-1.81 V. The highest specific discharge capacity is obtained 644 mAh/g for specimen with temperature hydrothermal of 170°C and temperature calcination of 550°C. This result shows that Fe3O4/C has a high potential as anode material for lithium ion battery.
- 1. K. Ozawa, Solid State Ionics 69 (1994) 212–221. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-2738(94)90411-1, Google Scholar,
- 2. P. Poizot, S. Laruelle, S. Grugeon, L. Dupont, J.M. Tarascon, Nature 407 (2000) 496–499. https://doi.org/10.1038/35035045, Google Scholar,
- 3. S. Mitra, P. Poizot, A. Finke, J.M. Tarascon, Adv. Funct. Mater. 16 (2006) 2281–2287 https://doi.org/10.1002/adfm.200500753, Google Scholar,
- 4. Cheng, Zhipeng, Chu, XiaoZhong, Zhong, Hui, Yin, Jingzhou, Zhang, Yu, Xu, Jiming, Materials Letters 76 (2012) 90–92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matlet.2012.02.062, Google Scholar,
- 5. Deng, Hong-gui, Jin, Shuang-ling, Zhan, Liang, Jin, Ming-lin, Ling, Li-Cheng, New Carbon Materials (2014) 301–308 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1872-5805(14)60139-6, Google Scholar
- 6. He, Yang, Huang, Ling, Cai, Jin-Shu, Zheng, Xiao-Mei, Sun, Shi-Gang, Electrochimica Acta 55 (2010) 1140–1144. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2009.10.014, Google Scholar,
- 7. Jin, Shuangling, Deng, Honggui, Long, Donghui, Liu, Xiaoju, Zhan, Liang, Liang, Xiaoyi, Qiao, Wenming, Ling, Licheng, Journal of Power Sources 196 (2011) 3887–3893. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2010.12.078, Google Scholar,
- 8. Wang, Jia-Zhao, Zhong, Chao, Wexler, David, Idris, Nurul Hayati, Chemistry European Journal 17 (2011) 661–667. https://doi.org/10.1002/chem.201001348, Google Scholar,
- 9. Wang, Jie, Zhao, Hailei, Zeng, Zhipeng, Lu, Pengpeng, Li, Zhaolin, Zhang, Tianhou, Materials Chemistry and Physics (2014) 1–6, Google Scholar
Published by AIP Publishing.
Please Note: The number of views represents the full text views from December 2016 to date. Article views prior to December 2016 are not included.